When temperatures begin to drop, making sure your heating system is ready to go may be the only thing on your mind. It’s important, though, not to neglect your air conditioner. It’s just as important to make sure your AC unit can survive the winter and is ready when you turn it on in the spring.
While most heating and cooling maintenance requires the help of a trained professional, there are a number of things you can do yourself to prolong the lifespan of your system. When winter rolls around, be sure to take necessary precautions to keep your AC in its best shape.
How to Winterize Your Air Conditioner
In order to keep your air conditioner in the best shape possible and ensure that it’s ready to work properly when warmer temperatures roll around, you should do the following five things:
- Turn off your AC – Be sure to turn your unit off during colder months. This prevents your air conditioner from turning on during an unusually warm day in the winter.
- Clean the area surrounding your AC unit – Tidy up the area surrounding your unit by clearing out clutter, leaves, branches, etc. Do this regularly (about once a week) in the winter and brush off water, snow, and ice.
- Cover the top of your unit – Covering your AC will help prevent dirt, debris, ice, and other buildups from getting their way into your unit. Make sure to choose a waterproof cover, such as something that’s made of plastic or vinyl.
- Make sure the cover is secure – Use vinyl ropes or bungee cords to wrap about the cover to keep your air conditioner secure. Make sure the cover is wrapped tightly so it doesn’t blow away on days with strong winds.
- Install foam pipe covers – Cut some foam to fit the length of exposed pipes. The foam insulates the pipes and protects them from freezing temperatures. Wrap duct tape around the foam so it is held in place.
Schedule AC Maintenance in Cary & Durham, NC With Comfort Services
In early spring, when winter begins to wind down and temperatures start to rise, you need to schedule air conditioner maintenance. If you follow the steps stated above, your unit should be in good shape, but you should still call in a professional to make sure. During maintenance, a technician will make small repairs as needed, replace older parts, and do a few other things that you shouldn’t take care of on your own.
Though there are many HVAC contractors that provide maintenance services in Cary and Durham, North Carolina, choosing Comfort Services should be a no brainer.
At Comfort Services, we offer:
- Fast, 24-hour emergency air conditioner service
- NATE-certified HVAC technicians
- No emergency rates
- Fully stocked service and maintenance vehicles
To schedule AC maintenance in Cary, Durham, or a surrounding area, give us a call at (919) 646-8019 or contact us online today!