To get through winter comfortably, most North Carolina residents choose between the two basic types of heating systems—furnaces and heat pumps. Figuring out what kind of central home heating system to choose can be a difficult decision, especially if you’ve only heard good things about both. Both come with their own unique set of benefits, so it’s important to decide what’s most important to you before you choose one or the other.
The Difference Between Furnaces and Heat Pumps
The difference between these two systems lies in how they work. A furnace generates its own heat and then circulates it throughout the house. There are different types of furnaces, including electric, gas, propane, and oil.
Heat pumps, on the other hand, do not create heat but rather move heat from one place to another. In the summer, a heat pump will take heat from your home and move it outside, and in the winter, it will move the heat from outside inside your home. While furnaces can only provide heat, heat pumps can act as both a heating and cooling system.
Heat pumps work well in places with mild winters, while furnaces work best in places with harsh winter climates.
Benefits of Furnaces
The advantages of furnaces vary from one type of furnace to another, with each type having its unique benefits. However, there are some benefits you’ll get regardless of what kind of furnace you choose. Those benefits are:
- Furnaces heat up quickly, making them very reliable.
- They are energy efficient. Many of today’s electric and gas furnaces have AFUE ratings over 97%, which means they are quite efficient in saving energy.
- They work even in places with the coldest climates, making them perfect for use during winter.
- They can be inexpensive compared to other heating systems.
Benefits of Heat Pumps
Heat pumps come with a number of benefits as well, including the fact that they:
- Have the ability to heat and cool your home.
- Are more energy efficient than furnaces.
- Are more eco-friendly than furnaces.
- Come with lower running costs.
- Are easier to install than furnaces.
Schedule Heating Services in the Cary & Durham, NC Areas with Comfort Services
If you’re looking for one of the top HVAC contractors in Cary and Durham, then look no further than Comfort Services. Our crew of certified HVAC technicians is equipped with fully-stocked maintenance vehicles and can install any heating system, including both furnaces at heat pumps. At Comfort Services, we offer convenient heating services you can trust at a price you can afford.
Contact us online or call at (919) 646-8019 to schedule heating service in Cary, Durham, or a surrounding area!